Saturday, November 22, 2008

WWPCD Part 2 - The Search






I think I always figured that a life change would make spirituality,
specifically Christianity, more palatable.  I took a hard look when my
daughter was born and still did not feel right about Christianity.  Shortly thereafter I began working for a company based in Israel.  I had been semi-joking for years that if I did pick up religion as a part of life it would be Judaism.  I had even checked out several books on the subject and honestly it seemed much closer to the way i felt about religion and "God" than Christianity did.  But, it still never clicked...I just did not feel fulfilled thinking about it.


I have been a fan of the band Faithless for years.  Maxi Jazz, being older yet very hip, has been a constant fascination.  I am impressed not only with his skills as a musician, but his attitudes about life and drive to be a good and socially aware person.  I had not thought much about Buddhism, honestly, but when reading his Wikipedia entry and discovering that he is an active Sōka Gakkai buddhist I began to get interested.  I did some research on the web and one day headed to the library to see if I could find any books published by Sōka Gakkai.  I was disappointed to not find any, though I did find Encountering the Dharma: Daisaku Ikeda, Soka Gakkai, and the Globalization of Buddhist Humanism.  Ultimately I shied away from Sōka Gakkai as it really struck me as more of a olitical movement than just being spiritual.  I have since opened my heart a little more to accepting that practicing the Dharma comes in many forms, but at the time it just did not mesh with me.

I headed over from the library to an awesome little store we have in Frederick, MD called Ten Thousand Joys.  I also did not find any books there on Sōka Gakkai.  Though one book did catch my attention.  However, now is a good time to share something else that was going on in my life.  My wife and I had been together for 13 years.  Right about the time it seems many couples have issues connecting.  She also has a lot of issues stemming from her childhood that seemed to come to a head right at that time.  When you add additional stress from me becoming estranged from my best friend of 12 years, our marriage was close to a breaking point.

I wandered through the "relationships" books and nothing caught my eye.  But I also did not want to leave empty handed.  Something was drawing me through the store.  As I wandered back to the Buddhism books again I semi-embarrassed looked at that book I had found on my first round.  I casually pulled it down and began flipping through it.  It was When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times by Pema Chödrön.  I am not sure why I was so embarrassed to pick the book up.  Worse was looking at it.  But i could not put it down.  I was flipping through it reading maybe 1/4 page at a time and everything she said just made sense.  But this was not Sōka Gakkai, this was Tibetan Buddhism.  But, I bought it.  And I took it home.  And I began to read.  And I discovered Tibetan Buddhism, Pema Chödrön style.

With all the press etc related to Tibet I
initially felt a little like drawing away from Tibetan Buddhism as well.  But the
more I learned about Buddhism the more and more I kept coming back to
Tibetan Buddhism.











No comments: